Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Not So Plain Cheese Pizza

Consider this my "comeback" episode of Pizza MacGyver after a two-month break after the arrival of my little dude, Baby Pizza MacGyver.

Last night, I went back to the basics and crafted a simple, but very satisfying cheese pizza.  Many people might scoff at the idea of a pizza without a mountain of toppings, artisanal cheeses, or accoutrements.

The arrival of Baby Pizza MacGyver really highlighted the need for me to appreciate and savor the small details that life provides.  This can be applied to your pizza making too, and careful attention to the smallest components will result in an amazing experience.

Take the extra time to freshly crack the black pepper in your sauce.  I used my easy, one minute sauce recipe last night but I used quality, organic ingredients (click HERE for the recipe) including the freshly ground black pepper.  I also used an organic sunflower oil instead of olive oil.  Sunflower oil doesn't impart any flavor at all, and it allows the herbs and spices to shine through in the sauce recipe.

I also used organic sunflower oil in place of olive oil in my dough recipe - you can find my basic dough recipe by clicking HERE.  I grilled my pizza last night, and I'll usually use canola oil in the dough if I'm going to grill it since canola oil works better than olive oil at high temperatures.  However, canola oil imparts a flavor into the food you use it on, much more so than even olive oil.  I wanted to taste the char from grilling the pizza, not the canola oil, so I opted for the high quality sunflower oil.

Finally, the cheese.  I always use great cheese when making my pizzas, and I prefer a brand from Wisconsin that I can get where I live.  Its not the cheapest cheese, but it is definitely the tastiest.  I used regular mozzarella cheese last night, and here's what the final product looked like after eight minutes on a 700 degree grill:


Go back to the basics the next time you make a pizza at home and focus on the little ingredients.  Your taste buds will be happy that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment